Vegan Fruit & Nut Chickpea Salad

In the time that I’ve been on a vegan diet, I’ve learned a lot of things.  One lesson in particular will stay with me for quite some time – learn to love thy chickpeas. 

In the time that I’ve been on a vegan diet, I’ve learned a lot of things.  One lesson in particular will stay with me for quite some time – learn to love thy chickpeas.


Ingredients

  • 1 can of chickpeas
  • 2 tablespoons of Vegenaise
  • ½ cup of chopped walnuts
  • ¼ cup of golden raisins
  • ¼ cup of craisins
  • garlic salt and pepper to taste


Directions

  1. Drain the chickpeas free of liquid and pour into a mixing bowl.
  2. Slightly mash some of the chickpeas, leaving some big chunks (this is a matter of personal preference so you may find that you like yours mashed more).
  3. Mix in 2 tablespoons of vegenaise and mash together.
  4. Add walnuts, raisins, and craisins.
  5. Stir and add garlic salt and pepper to taste (regular salt is fine too).
  6. Now you’re ready to serve!  One of the best things about this recipe is that it’s great the next day, so feel free to let it sit in the fridge over night.  In fact, in my opinion it’s actually BETTER when you leave it sit for a day.  The vegenaise will be absorbed a bit by the walnuts and raisins, which will make it creamier.  You will actually probably want to add a bit more vegenaise right before you eat if you go this route.
  7. I hope this turns out well for you! Enjoy!